Friday, October 20, 2006

Turkey Buzzard/Vulture Migration Flight (Golden Eagle Post Redacted)


Ok...I know that this looks like a lot of blue Sky...but you have to look closely. As I was coming home from work Friday evening...(about 6:00...if Rick is reading this...ha ha)...I noticed a column of these large birds generally flying from the north to the south. I tried to take some pictures of them...and I could see that they were VERY high in the sky...and Very large. I came home and Cindy asked me why I was (home so early...ha ha) ...why I had my camera in my hand...I said...you have to come see these birds. So we all got into the car.....and started "chasing them if you will....like a tornado chaser... The column of birds went on for about as far as you could see to the north...came right over hwy 65 and Chestnut Expwy...and went south, south east almost like they were headed to Rogersville...or more like Highland Springs.

I tried to take as many pictures as I could...but only a few turned out. I estimate that there were between 700 and 1000 birds in the 30 minutes or so that we watched them.

As I started doing research...I first thought they were golden eagles... However...When I contacted my great Aunt Becky...she has some friends that identified these pictures as Turkey Buzzards...Then I found this article about the Great Turkey Buzzard Migration to Branson.

Also this conversation about them...


...It was very incredible to watch...Did anyone else see them?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that is a turkey vulture...:)